Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Grandpa Louie - Thoughts from Brian

When I started to think about what I should write in this blog that would make Grandpa proud, I came to realize that he’s probably already very proud of all the things that we, as his children and grandchildren, (and yes, even great-grandchildren, Theo) have done. It’s my turn now to be proud of him and everything he has done for me. To be proud for all the stories about working hard, being a good person, and doing the right thing whenever we can. To be proud of all of the advice from simple things like, “keep your head down through the swing” to sometimes more difficult things like, “don’t fight with your brother.” I’m so proud to be a Doot, so proud to have gotten a chance to spend so much time with him, and so very proud to have Grandma and Grandpa in my life.

I don’t have a specific story to tell about Grandpa, probably because there are so many memories of him. I just will always remember his passion for sports, mostly U of M and the Tigers. I will never forget the countless hours I spent in Grandma’s family room watching and listening to Grandpa dissect every player on both teams. I don’t think I could ever learn more from someone just talking about how to do something than Grandpa (maybe because he had so much to say?). I just thought to myself, “wow, I wonder what he says about me when I play.” But I’m sure they were all good things.

Grandpa, I want to thank you for my dashing good looks, my quick wit, and my unmistakable hairline. More importantly, I want to thank you for helping me be the person I am today.

No comments: