Friday, August 31, 2007

Happy Birthday Grandpa

I have so many stories about Grandpa. One of my favorites is when Brandon and I were very little and staying over at Grandma and Grandpa’s for Christmas. We were supposed to be sleeping in the den, when a man in a long red robe looked in on us. We looked at each other and quickly pretended to be sleeping. The next morning we told everyone that we had seen Santa! For years I had thought that the man in the red robe was Santa Claus. However, it was actually Grandpa. But now, years later, I think I had it right the first time.

My mom told me when I was in the fourth grade and questioning her about Santa Claus, that St. Nick was a man who had lived in England many years ago. He was a person that had done so many good deeds that parents had taken it upon themselves to carry on his traditions. I think that this is the lesson we have all taken from Grandpa and in this way he will always be our St. Nick. Grandpa’s generosity, caring, and compassion was something we have all learned from and that we can pass on for years to come.

Happy Birthday Grandpa – we will try to carry on your traditions.

No comments: